Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds.

+6
TimFisch
dvarkin
Fizik_S
MSABU
Alex68
arcachofo
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 9]

126SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:53 pm

Fizik_S

Fizik_S

The author of this scheme is trying to make a controller model. Therefore, he marked the name of the chip's pins with tunnels. I also do this (for example, in the TL431 chip).

127SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:13 am

arcachofo

arcachofo

The author of this scheme is trying to make a controller model. Therefore, he marked the name of the chip's pins with tunnels. I also do this (for example, in the TL431 chip).
Oh... I understand.

What caught my atention is the fact that he is not using the Tunnel "Id" but the "Label".
If these are to connect to the package it does not affect the circuit behavior, but at some point he will need to set the "Id" property, which is an aditional work.

128SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:45 am

Fizik_S

Fizik_S

I didn't pay attention to the error with the labels. This is a small problem. The main task is to localize the error that slows down the development of the model.

There are also errors in the PIC16F886 simulation. The scheme (post 107 in this topic) works correctly on version 0.4.15. In version 1.0.0 R999, a stable error appears: after pressing one of the control buttons (Play, Rew, FF), the operation stops after a few seconds. In version 1.0.0 RC2, the error manifests itself in different ways: 1) there is no reaction to pressing the buttons, 2) the error appears as in version R999, 3) the activated command cannot be stopped by pressing the Stop button. I did not find any patterns in the manifestation of errors. A little later I'll try to use the debugger. But there may be difficulties with this: I do not know the PIC assembler even at the initial level. I can only approximately localize the place with the error.

129SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:11 am

arcachofo

arcachofo

The main task is to localize the error that slows down the development of the model.
Yes of course.
And PIC simulation still need lot of work and testing.

1) there is no reaction to pressing the buttons
Solved at Rev 1023.

3) the activated command cannot be stopped by pressing the Stop button.
I don't undertand this one.
After solving 1), when I press "Play" the motor spins for aproximately 1 second and stops by itself.
I don't know how to do for continuous play.

If I set the simulation speed very slow then I can stop after pressing Play.
So stop button is also working.

130SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:18 am

Fizik_S

Fizik_S

After solving 1), when I press "Play" the motor spins for aproximately 1 second and stops by itself.
I don't know how to do for continuous play.

I compared the simulation of the circuit in version 0.4.15 and 1.0.0. In the program version 0.4.15, the movement of the motors does not stop after 1 second and continues until the Stop button is pressed. If you turn off the Break switch, the movement of the motors stops after 1 second. That is, if no pulses with a frequency of 68.560 HZ are received at the input B3 of the microcontroller, the program turns off the motors (the tape recorder hitchhikes when the tape ends in the cassette). Therefore, I can assume that the problem is in the part of the program that responds to the signal from port B3. This port, if I understand correctly, causes an interrupt. Perhaps the reason for the error is incorrect interrupt handling. Perhaps the reason for the error is incorrect interrupt handling. The interrupt handler is in the program from line 133.

131SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:18 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

If you turn off the Break switch, the movement of the motors stops after 1 second.
Currently, even after solving 1) it stops after 1 second with Break switch open or closed.
So this is another problem.

Perhaps the reason for the error is incorrect interrupt handling. The interrupt handler is in the program from line 133.
Thanks, that is good information.

132SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:36 pm

Fizik_S

Fizik_S

The MCU monitor does not display the lower bits of the status register in versions 1.0.0 RC2, 0.4.15 R266, 0.4.15 R271
SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Mcu_mo10
SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Mcu_mo11
SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Mcu_mo12

133SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:56 am

arcachofo

arcachofo

The MCU monitor does not display the lower bits of the status register in versions 1.0.0 RC2, 0.4.15 R266, 0.4.15 R271
Solved at Rev 1029.

134SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:19 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

the movement of the motors stops after 1 second, with Break switch open or closed.
Solved at Rev 1041.

Fizik_S likes this post

135SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:34 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

New build at Rev 1103 uploaded.

Have a look at first post for download links and list of changes.

Remember that this is version 1.0.0, candidate for next "stable" version, not the development version with last changes and features.

136SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:54 am

TimFisch

TimFisch

I found a bug in the 1.0.0 R1103 / 1.0.1 R1279:

The I2C to parallel component acts strange, when used as a sending slave: I combined it with an ADC and tried to get all date via I2C. For analog values larger than 2.5 (= digital values with D7 set) everything works fine. For smaller values the TWSTO seems not to be set.

In the example, the (external) ADC value can be seen also in PORTB (via the MCU monitor) as a check.

https://wiki.mexle.org/_media/i2c_bug.zip

https://wiki.mexle.hs-heilbronn.de/

137SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:25 am

TimFisch

TimFisch

Is the SPI module of 1.0.0 the same like the one of 1.0.1 R1279?

The following link leads to a (rough coded) SPI example, where a WS2812 matrix shall be refereshed by a slave (random equalizer LEDs). The 1.0.1 R1279 does this fine, but the 1.0.0 seems to have some trouble with the SPI...

https://wiki.mexle.org/_media/student_example_spi.zip

Additionally, the SimulIDE WS2812 seems to have more strict timing tolerances compared to the reality. This lead to some problems with the existing c libs (expecially the timing)

The tolerances are given here:
https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheets/WS2812.pdf#page=3

A "non-working" timing is e.g. in the following lib (whihch works in reality):
https://github.com/cpldcpu/light_ws2812/blob/master/light_ws2812_AVR/Light_WS2812/light_ws2812.c

138SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:29 am

arcachofo

arcachofo

Thank you for testing this version.

Is the SPI module of 1.0.0 the same like the one of 1.0.1 R1279?
SPI module is basically identical.
But in other places these 2 versions have diverged quite a bit.

The following link leads to a (rough coded) SPI example, where a WS2812 matrix shall be refereshed by a slave (random equalizer LEDs). The 1.0.1 R1279 does this fine, but the 1.0.0 seems to have some trouble with the SPI...
Indeed I would say that the problem is in 1.0.1:
Seems like master atmega keeps CLK as input, but datasheet says that CLK direction must be defined by the user.
So, as far as I understand this firmware should not work: CLK pin always Low.

I'm having a look to I2C to Parallel and WS2812.

139SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:40 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

About WS2812:

The library you linked seems to produce timings out of specifications, at least in the simulation:
T1H = 875 ns, while specification = 700 +-150 ns.

In the library T1H is defined at 900 ns, which it does well but is out of specifications:
// Timing in ns
#define w_zeropulse   350
#define w_onepulse    900
#define w_totalperiod 1250

Not sure why it's defined like this.
In any case if it works in a real device it should (ideally) work in the simulation.
The problem is: how do we know which are the actual tolerances in a real device?

There is a clue in the library:
// The only critical timing parameter is the minimum pulse length of the "0"
// Warn or throw error if this timing can not be met with current F_CPU settings.
#define w_lowtime ((w1_nops+w_fixedlow)*1000000)/(F_CPU/1000)
#if w_lowtime>550
  #error "Light_ws2812: Sorry, the clock speed is too low. Did you set F_CPU correctly?"
#elif w_lowtime>450
  #warning "Light_ws2812: The timing is critical and may only work on WS2812B, not on WS2812(S)."
  #warning "Please consider a higher clockspeed, if possible"
#endif

Then what the component should do?
Perhaps:
-  Measure the length of the total pulse.
- Check that this length is within specifications.
- If duty > 50% then it is a 1 (even if it is out of specifications)
else if duty > "minimum duty for 0" it is a 0.

140SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:22 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

TimFisch wrote:The I2C to parallel component acts strange, when used as a sending slave: I combined it with an ADC and tried to get all date via I2C. For analog values larger than 2.5 (= digital values with D7 set) everything works fine. For smaller values the TWSTO seems not to be set.
Not 100% sure about this...

Seems that the cause of the problem is that Master is sending ACK before Stop, when I think it shouldn't:
If Master sends ACK, then Slave understand that it should keep sending data.
If it happens that the first bit is 0, it will pull down SDA preventing it to rise when Master tries to generate an Stop.

But without the source code I'm not sure that Master is actually sending ACK or there is some other issue.
But the fact is that Slave thinks that an ACK is received, so it keeps sending data.

141SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:53 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

arcachofo wrote:About WS2812:

The library you linked seems to produce timings out of specifications, at least in the simulation:
T1H = 875 ns, while specification = 700 +-150 ns.

In the library T1H is defined at 900 ns, which it does well but is out of specifications:
I found where this issue come from.

There is an WS2812B, that has different timings.
And there are different values depending on the datasheet "version".

In any case using 900 ns for WS2812 (without "B") doesn't seem correct to me.
Even if it works in a real device, which I'm not sure...
Does this library work in a real WS2812 or WS2812B??

This one has T1H 900 ns:
SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Wsb110

This one has T1H 800 ns:

SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Wsb010

142SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:38 pm

TimFisch

TimFisch

Sorry for the delay: YEs, there are more than one WS2812.
Indeed we used the WS2812B. There are some additional WS2812-like LED-ICs:
  • WS2811 (= only the mircocontroller, so the LEDs are separate)
  • WS2813 (seems to be a newer version)
  • SK6812

Some (or at least one) of them had a different color coding.
Would be great to support at least WS2812, WS2812b and the SK6812 in longterm Cool .

EDIT: I think one issue might also be, that the WS2812b seems more tolerant to a delay between the 24bit packets. So, when the 24th bit has a longer low voltage time (but below RES time) it seems still to work.

143SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:23 am

TimFisch

TimFisch

For the SPI issue you are right: the SPI CLK has do be defined manually as output pin - and it wasn't in the example...

The same is true for the I2C.. Rolling Eyes
The code was not sending the NACK. with sending the NACK it works fine.

Sorry for the alarm..

144SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:31 am

arcachofo

arcachofo

Would be great to support at least WS2812, WS2812b and the SK6812 in longterm
That is exactly what I was thinking:
Add the possibility to choose model, in a similar way than DHT22/11.
It's easy to add all models that use the same protocol and only differ in timing.

EDIT: I think one issue might also be, that the WS2812b seems more tolerant to a delay between the 24bit packets. So, when the 24th bit has a longer low voltage time (but below RES time) it seems still to work.
This problem is not easy to solve.
Specifications determine some limits within the device is guaranteed to work, but the real characteristics of the device are unknown.

The only way to do a simulation close to reality is knowing how the device actually works.
I don't think a real WS2812 measures all times and check if everything is correct.
Most probably it measures input voltage some time after a rising edge and that is all.
Then if it does not "see" another rising edge within certain time, it goes idle and ignores everything until next reset pulse.

But this is just a guess, and actual times might depend on working voltages and other factors, or can vary between brands or even single devices due to component quality, tolerance and whatever.

Some testing could determine the real characteristics of one concrete device, but that is not guaranteed to be the real characteristics of all devices of all brands.

Then... we must assume that a device in the simulation will not work exactly the same than reality.
But 2 real devices will not work exactly the same as well.

I tend to think that the best aproach is to stick to specifications and add a bit of tolerance.
This way if it works in the simulator it is guaranteed to work in reality.
If it doesn't work in the simulator it means that it is out of specifications... it might work in (some) real devices or not.

Sorry for the alarm..
It is always good to know that the simulation does not work when it shouldn't.
And indeed the SPI CLK was working when it shouldn't, so that was an error (solved at Rev 1289).

TimFisch likes this post

145SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:20 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

New build at Rev 1145 uploaded.

146SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:07 pm

KerimF

KerimF

arcachofo wrote:New build at Rev 1145 uploaded.

Sorry, I couldn't find the 'list of changes'.
I downloaded the zip file.

147SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:34 pm

KerimF

KerimF

SimulIDE_1.0.0-R1145_Win32

Please note that, in avrasm2.xml, type="avrasm00", not "avrasm01".

148SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:29 am

KerimF

KerimF

SimulIDE_1.0.0-R1145_Win32

Code:
SV_byte:
    OUT   EEARL, tmpHiL
    OUT   EEDR, tmpHiH
    CLI                         ; disable interrupts during timed sequence
    SBI   EECR, EEMWE           ; enable EEPROM write
    SBI   EECR, EEWE            ; start EEPROM write
    SEI                         ; re-enable interrupts

EE_wait:
    SBIC  EECR, EEWE            ; wait to end previous saving
    RJMP  EE_wait

EEiniRt:
    RET

The flag EEWE in EECR doesn't reset (1 to 0) to indicate end of EE writing (typically, writing a byte takes 8.5 ms).

149SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:30 am

arcachofo

arcachofo

The flag EEWE in EECR doesn't reset (1 to 0) to indicate end of EE writing (typically, writing a byte takes 8.5 ms).
There is a problem with EERE :
Writing to EEMWE with EERE being 1 triggers a read here:
Code:
The read operation takes 4 extra cycles, so when  EEWE is written it is too late...

Obviously this should not happen but not sure about the exact behavior:
EEWE is cleared by hardware when the write operation is finished.
But datasheet says nothing about clearing EERE, and code examples don't clear EERE by software.

This suggest  that writing 1 to EERE triggers a read operation even if it is already 1.
The problem is that the current implementation triggers it even for SBI EECR, EEMWE...

150SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. - Page 6 Empty Re: SimulIDE 1.0.0 Tester builds. Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:03 pm

KerimF

KerimF

arcachofo wrote:
There is a problem with EERE :
Writing to EEMWE with EERE being 1 triggers a read here:

Code:
The read operation takes 4 extra cycles, so when  EEWE is written it is too late...

To my knowledge, EEMWE (EEPROM Master Write Enable) has no role in reading EEPROM. So, I am not sure, I got your remark well.
Although I didn't have the idea to check that EERE is reset by hardware soon after reading the byte from EEPROM [during the 4-cycle reading instruction], I think it is the case. But I will check this by running the ATMEL Studio simulator (just to be 100% sure).

Obviously this should not happen but not sure about the exact behavior:
EEWE is cleared by hardware when the write operation is finished.
But datasheet says nothing about clearing EERE, and code examples don't clear EERE by software.

This suggest  that writing 1 to EERE triggers a read operation even if it is already 1.
The problem is that the current implementation triggers it even for SBI EECR, EEMWE...

I think we have here two separate processes:

For reading:
Code:
   SBI   EECR, EERE
   IN    tmpHiH, EEDR
This takes 4+1 cycles and the flag EERE is reset (1 to 0) by hardware.
During the write operation (when EEWE=1), setting EERE is ignored.

For writing:
Code:
   SBI   EECR, EEWE            ; start EEPROM write

EEMWE will be cleared by hardware after 4 cycles (SBI takes 1 cycle of them). Then EEWE will be cleared after 8.5 ms (and the byte of interest on EE is updated/written).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum