Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Add Probe to Plotter channel 0.4.14-SR4

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Add Probe to Plotter channel 0.4.14-SR4 Empty Add Probe to Plotter channel 0.4.14-SR4 Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:15 pm

Andrew Jameson

Hi,

What a great piece of work !  I discovered it just before Christmas and already have a PIC project up and running !

I have updated to the latest version (0.4.14-SR4 Windows 10 64).

I think that there had been a bug that prevented the watchdog timer working on a PIC 12f683 on the earlier version.

This latest version seems to have corrected the problem.

The new features are very good ... but ... I can no longer connect a probe to the plotter.

According to the probe property dialog :

"Right-Click and add to Plotter channel."

Sadly right clicking does not help.

There's a minor typo crept into SimulIDE - the passive component "Termistor" should be "Thermistor".

Thanks for your great piece of work.

Here's to a better year !

Regards,

Andrew Jameson

Last edited by Andrew Jameson on Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

arcachofo

arcachofo

Hi Andrew.

There are a few things that changed from 0.4.13 and are not updated in the tutorials.
One of those things is that old plotter dissapears. The new Oscope should do the work now.
For a brief tutorial have a look here: https://www.simulide.com/p/new-oscope.html
Basically you can enter a probe name in Oscope.

Looks like someone forgot to update help texts as well... Embarassed

Thank you for reporting!

Andrew Jameson

That was a quick response !

I've tried using the Oscope ... I actually preferred the plotter ... so maybe both would be better ?

The Oscope is causing erratic problems - any Oscope adjustment sometimes stops it refreshing requiring a stop and reload of my PIC firmware.  The Oscope actually interferes with other monitors such as the frequency counter.

After a few Oscope adjustments, I have found that the Oscope simply vanishes ... shortly after the app crashes too especially when re-adding an Oscope.

(I did not use the Oscope on the earlier version other than to decide to use the Plotter, so it might be that the Oscope on the earlier version caused the same problem ... just checked that out and the earlier version is solid without any problem.  I noticed that the knobs turn using cursor up right / down left better than the mouse but I'd suggest a "fast" mode maybe by a factor of 10 when holding the ctrl key also it would be more intuitive if cursor left / right altered xpos and timebase and cursor up / down applied to vpos and amplitude.)

There are no error messages associated with the crash and there's not much info from the Windows EventViewer :

Fault bucket 2127618915856618560, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0
Fault bucket 2127618915856618560, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: simulide.exe
P2: 0.4.14.0
P3: 5ff1c4fb
P4: simulide.exe
P5: 0.4.14.0
P6: 5ff1c4fb
P7: c0000005
P8: 00000000000a3496
P9:
P10:

I'm using full up to date Windows 10 and the 64 bit version of SimulIDE.  I'm using a PIC 12f683 and have reduced the problem to the simplest circuit - waveform generator on GPIO 2 and LED on GPIO 5 - "blinky" !

The other observation is that on earlier versions of SimulIDE I could not get the watchdog timer to work on a 12f683 (not tested others)  ... the latest version does work but only when :

#config.WDTE = ON

It should also work when :

WDTCON.SWDTEN = 1

... but it doesn't.

Thank you,

Andrew

arcachofo

arcachofo

There are quite a few issues here...
It would be great if you could share the files to reproduce the issues.

Just in case:
This oscope should be able to act as the old plotter, for that you must disable "Auto" and "Trigger".
Also set the Time step and Volt step to an apropiate values.

After a few Oscope adjustments, I have found that the Oscope simply vanishes
Could this happen when using delete key?
If not it would be great to identify when this happens.

I noticed that the knobs turn using cursor up right / down left better than the mouse but I'd suggest a "fast" mode maybe by a factor of 10 when holding the ctrl key also it would be more intuitive if cursor left / right altered xpos and timebase and cursor up / down applied to vpos and amplitude.
Good ideas.

The other observation is that on earlier versions of SimulIDE I could not get the watchdog timer to work on a 12f683 (not tested others) ... the latest version does work but only when :

#config.WDTE = ON

It should also work when :

WDTCON.SWDTEN = 1

... but it doesn't.
Thanks.. i will have a look.

Andrew Jameson

OK ...

Add a clock source and connect a probe.

Rename probe to be "p1" (not tested relevance but more convenient for typing)

Add an Oscope - enter "p1" as ch1 source and click "power circuit" button.

On Oscope - click "expand", select Ch1 and uncheck "auto".  Rotate timebase (Div) knob back and forth and maybe Pos knob.  I find that the trace stops refreshing and it appears as if it is ignoring the knob adjustments - it might update after swapping knobs but once it has started erratic updates it's all downhill.

From now on there's a few things that can happen :

1. Oscope will suddenly vanish
2. Program will crash :
  a. The program will hang or
  b. The program will crash back to the desktop.
3. Steps 1 or 2 will happen if you continue to alter the knobs on Oscope or try to edit the probe name.

I think that the same happens if you drag and connect the Oscope to a source but wanted to keep the steps to reproduce fault as simple as possible.

I hope that helps to identify the problem ... I know from my own projects how isolating software bugs can be so difficult - FYI I wrote Letter Rack 3D - see www.softspotsoftware.com - now retired but might make a comeback ... written in Delphi using OpenGL - no other "off the shelf" libraries - all "home grown" and 4 years work - sold throughout Europe / Canada ... now working with PICs !

Cheers,

Andrew

arcachofo

arcachofo

Thanks, I could reproduce the issue.

Could not make it crash os vanish, but this might depend on the computer.
I noticed that the problem only happens with "Trigger" enabled.

Looks like this doesn't happen in the next version of Oscope.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum