Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Scrolling Screen Plotter

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Scrolling Screen Plotter Empty Scrolling Screen Plotter Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:49 pm

Andrew Jameson

I've now been using SimulIDE for a few weeks now and it's certainly impressive.  I picked up a bug with the new scope - no not Covid ! ... and you already have acknowledged it.

The scope is very good - but for my application that scrolling display is much better ... can we have both ??

Just another unrelated observation ... a trial edit and compile ends up silently overwriting the original file. I'm sure that a lot of people expect the source to be preserved until you actually decide to save any revisions.  (GCBasic does the same.)

The way around this problem seems to be to keep copying files before you start - the result is a lot of "temporary" work files !

Otherwise a "very happy camper" !  Very Happy

Cheers,

Andrew

Think that the Autosave / Overwrite is down to the IDE setting in GCBasic ?

Last edited by Andrew Jameson on Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Another idea / thought)

2Scrolling Screen Plotter Empty Re: Scrolling Screen Plotter Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:52 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

Hi.

The scope is very good - but for my application that scrolling display is much better
Can you be more specific? What makes that scrolling display much better?

The old plotter will not come back.
The idea is having all functionalities in the new Oscope:
Next Oscope version will have 4 channels.
There is also an 8 channel Logic Analizer been implemented.

a trial edit and compile ends up silently overwriting the original file. I'm sure that a lot of people expect the source to be preserved until you actually decide to save any revisions.
Most compilers ask if you wish  to save modified files or have some configurable option, but if you don't save then the version in the disk is what is compiled.

Think that the Autosave / Overwrite is down to the IDE setting in GCBasic ?
Currently there is no option/setting: modified files are always saved before compiling.
It would be possible to add a setting for auto-save before compiling, but again: the compiler will take the file in disk, not the unsaved version in the editor.

3Scrolling Screen Plotter Empty Re: Scrolling Screen Plotter Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:34 pm

Andrew Jameson

Hi,

No, I found the old plotter just a convenient display that confirmed what was going on rather than being concerned about measurements etc.  Yes I use a scope on the real thing at home so no concerns but felt like it was still a useful feature.

Still trying to figure out the editor saving thing - I load a GCB source file, do an edit and press the "upload" button - silently, this action has now overwritten the source code file on disk.

I do understand the rationale - a command line compiler does require a physical source code file.  In most other IDEs (Delphi being my favorite), the IDE maintains a temporary edited file that is passed to the compiler.

With SimulIDE and GCBasic, any "test" editing and compiling destroys the original source - so, to be safe, you have to make a copy of the work every time.

Maybe it's just me but my habit has always been to develop code and test it and at some time when I like what I've done then I save it.

At first, I found it a major problem as I corrupted many of the supplied demo examples by editing and playing and being oblivious to the fact that my edits had overwritten the originals ... today, well I know and just have a considerable number of working file copies.

It's not a serious issue just one of those things to think about - the program is nevertheless so impressive and it's a joy to use it.  I'm learning PIC programming - I was a software and digital design engineer and I'm in awe of what SimulIDE can do with such little effort - it'd make a great and invaluable teaching aid.

Thanks

Andrew

4Scrolling Screen Plotter Empty Re: Scrolling Screen Plotter Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:20 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

Hi Andrew.

No, I found the old plotter just a convenient display that confirmed what was going on rather than being concerned about measurements etc.  Yes I use a scope on the real thing at home so no concerns but felt like it was still a useful feature.
The old plotter had many limitations.
Perhaps removing it was premature, but you can still use the oscope as a plotter in 0.4.14-SR4: the main limitation is there are only 2 channels, and some bugs.
The new oscope still lakcs some features, but it is not finished, and you will be able to do anything you did in the old plotter and much more.

Still trying to figure out the editor saving thing
It is basically:
Every time you compile the file is saved if it was modified.
When you upload, file is compiled if it was modified (so also saved), if not it uploads the old version.

As far as I know almost any compiler read files from disk.
Some IDEs may create a copy and compile from that copy, but in general files must be in disk to be compiled, because most IDEs invoke external compilers as command line.
Arduino IDE, for example create a copy anyway, because it is not compiling the skecth you write directly.

Most IDEs I know have an option to save files before compiling or not, but will compile what is saved to disk.
For example in Qt Creator if you don't save, then changes will not be compiled, so there is no way to test changes without saving.

I understand your point and that would be a nice feature.
Perhaps in the future it will be implemented, but it will require some stuff to be implemented before so the editor knows which files belong to the project.

I could add an option to save file before compiling or not, but then changes will not be compiled, so I don't see the point in doing it.

5Scrolling Screen Plotter Empty Re: Scrolling Screen Plotter Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:19 pm

Andrew Jameson

No it's not as cumbersome as selecting save before compile. You can do that in GSBasic but the result is really frustrating. When you edit and then compile, you expect to see your revisions in the result.

Let's see if I can explain. When I started with SimulIDE and GSBasic, I explored the demos. Compiled and then enjoyed a few of them by editing bits here and there to gain more understanding - the result was a lot of demos that got overwritten by my exploring.

In IDEs such as Delphi, c-Builder, Lazarus and others, the modified / edited files are written to disk, often using a temporary tilde diacritic. It is these files that are passed to the compiler. The result is that you can open a project, edit it freely without consequence and compile and test. It is then up to the user to determine when the edited source should be saved - the IDE then deletes all the temp. files.

So if you want to delete lots and lots in a file just to test a couple of lines you are reassured that the original will still be there unless you deliberately overwrite it with a save. The only way that this is possible in SimulIDE and GCBasic is to create a copy before starting and use ctrl-z to undo everything.

Now I know the restriction in SimulIDE / GCBasic it's OK but it does mean that I end up with a lot of unwanted temporary work files.

As I said, not really a show stopper but intuitively it feels awkward.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum