Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

PIC Package 16F1826

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1PIC Package 16F1826 Empty PIC Package 16F1826 Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:18 am

MSABU

Hello, I am interested by simulating a 16F1826 but I am testing at the moment the existing 16F1825. Is it complicated to add a new PIC to the list. Can I do it myself or just edit the existing 16F1825 one ?
It seems as well that the internal weak pull-up even if set are not functional for the simulation. Same for Peripherical pin assignements (Rx & TX for USART for instance).
Am I correct ?
Thks for the project BTW.

Rgds,
Frd

2PIC Package 16F1826 Empty Re: PIC Package 16F1826 Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:21 am

arcachofo

arcachofo

Hi MSABU.

Is it complicated to add a new PIC to the list. Can I do it myself or just edit the existing 16F1825 one ?
Short answer: it is not possible, at least not easy.

The situation about Microcontrollers in simulide right now is changing:
Until version 0.4.15 simulide used external simulators for MCU simulation: Gpsim for PIC and Simavr for AVR.
Gpsim does not support 16F1826, so it can't be added to simulide.

Next version 1.0.0 is using a new MCU simulator written from scratch.
This is a work in progress, AVR simulation is a bit more developed than PIC.

Currently only PIC 14 bit Mid-Range core is implemented and a few models added.
16F1826 is Enhanced Mid-Range core, which is not yet implemented.
The implementation of this core depends on the collaboration of people interested.
If there is someone willing to put some effort in it, I'm willing to implement this core and some models.
But this takes some time.

3PIC Package 16F1826 Empty Re: PIC Package 16F1826 Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:15 pm

MSABU

I would be very happy to help but not sure to have the proper expertise. I am more into Python than C or C++.
Let me know, what you are doing is amazing.
Rgds,
Frd

4PIC Package 16F1826 Empty Re: PIC Package 16F1826 Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:18 pm

MSABU

Other option might be to llok into what you have already implemented sinc I only need an USART and optionally a harware I2C. I am not stuck on the 16F1826.

5PIC Package 16F1826 Empty Re: PIC Package 16F1826 Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:16 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

I would be very happy to help but not sure to have the proper expertise. I am more into Python than C or C++.
Collaboration does not necesarily means coding.
The coding part is relatively easy for me once evreything is sorted out.

There  are plenty of things that anyone can do:
Enhanced midrange core can be implemented on top of the old midrange core I think.
There are some new instructions to implement, but as I understand the old 35 or so instructions are the same.
But I'm not sure if that's really the case.
So first things to do:
- Review the instruction set and see if the 35 instructions are exactly the same or find the differences.
- Find other differences: stack, interrupts, etc.
...Or find this information somewhere in the web.

Once the basic implementation of the core is done, we need one device to test it, let's say 16F1826.
To implement this device we need to do something similar with it's perifericals: Timers, ADC, Usart, etc:
for example, if the Usart  is exactly the same in a device that is already implemented, then we can use it.
If not, we must find which one is the most similar, find the differences and create a variant.

Same thing with all perifericals...
This should be much easier for someone which has some knowledge and exerience with the devices.

If you are willing to help there are plenty of things to do.

Other option might be to llok into what you have already implemented sinc I only need an USART and optionally a harware I2C. I am not stuck on the 16F1826.
Yes, as I said before, 16F1826 will not be in version 0.4.15, and will take some time to be in 1.0.0.
You can keep using 0.4.15 or try some of the devices already implemented in 1.0.0, but these devices are not completed.

The best option in 1.0.0 is probably 16F648, but you would be testing it and finding problems to solve.
This would also be a great help.

In conclusion I see these options:
- If you just want to simulate your projects and 16F1825 in 0.4.15 is enought, then keep using it.

- Use 16F648 (or any other) in 1.0.0 and help to finish it testing and reporting issues.
 With some help, this device could be finished in short time.

- Get involved in the development of Enhanced Mid-Range core and 16F1826.
 This is a lot of work and will take some time, at least a few weeks to get something functional.

6PIC Package 16F1826 Empty Re: PIC Package 16F1826 Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:34 pm

MSABU

Many thks for detailed answer.
Here is what I could help with :
- Simulating the 16F1825. I have allready explored most of its possibilities using GCBasic but there are some limitations (Internal Pull-Ups not functionning, USART can not be moved to alternative Pins)
- I have checked the devices available in 1.0.0 and there are more expensive than a Raspberry RP2040 or a XIAO RP2040 so not really interesting.
- I am willing to help with the development of Enhanced Mid Range. Could you point me to a reference PIC I should use as a reference for the old Mid Range. I would obviously use the 16F1826 as a representant of the Enhanced Mid Range.
- I will test as well the 16F648 to help you out.

7PIC Package 16F1826 Empty Re: PIC Package 16F1826 Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:45 am

arcachofo

arcachofo

- Simulating the 16F1825. I have allready explored most of its possibilities using GCBasic but there are some limitations (Internal Pull-Ups not functionning, USART can not be moved to alternative Pins)
That one is running on Gpsim, some bugs can be fixed, but adding features that are not implemented is out of my scope.
In adition the focus is now in the development ofthe new version 1.0.0.

- I have checked the devices available in 1.0.0 and there are more expensive than a Raspberry RP2040 or a XIAO RP2040 so not really interesting.
Yes, I'm adding first the most used ones for learning, which are the clasic old on ones.

- I am willing to help with the development of Enhanced Mid Range. Could you point me to a reference PIC I should use as a reference for the old Mid Range. I would obviously use the 16F1826 as a representant of the Enhanced Mid Range.
Ok, let's implement 16F1826.
I will add a basic implementation of the enhanced core and basic files for 16F1826.

The best match as a reference is probably 16F88x, which has some "enhanced" perifericals.
I created a thread is "Tester" section.

- I will test as well the 16F648 to help you out.
That's great thanks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum