Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Opamp strange behaviour?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Opamp strange behaviour? Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:42 pm

blitobyte

blitobyte

Hi,

studying opamps I came across an apparently SimulIDE strange behaviour. I was working with an inverter configuration and noticed that if I incremented the feedback resistor (Rf) the gain woulldn't increase as expected (A = - Rf / Ri = -400).

With small Rf values, the gain was ok, but the higher the Rf the less exact the gain. In the image I'm sending, the gain should be around -400V, but it isn't.

Opamp strange behaviour? Simuli13

Then I discovered in properties a box labelled Gain with 1000 by default. I had to increase it to 1000000 to get the right value. Does anybody know why?

Opamp strange behaviour? Simuli14

Last edited by blitobyte on Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Include a zip with sources so that other chatters can reproduce the problem.)

2Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:39 am

KerimF

KerimF

blitobyte wrote:Hi,
studying opamps I came across an apparently SimulIDE strange behaviour. I was working with an inverter configuration and noticed that if I incremented the feedback resistor (Rf) the gain woulldn't increase as expected (A = - Rf / Ri = -400).

As you said, A= minus 400. Try making Vin = -1V. I guess you will get 400V.

On a real circuit, if Vin=1, Vout will be close to zero (close to the opamp ground voltage).
I mean, on your schematic, I am afraid that any negative value at the opamp output is simply a bug to be fixed in SimulIDE.

3Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:00 am

blitobyte

blitobyte

Sigo con los opamps.

Hi, more about Opamps...

Here is another example of 'innacuracy' of SimulIDE when working with opamps, or perhaps it's something I'm missing.

Figure 1 is the real problem. The Vout should be 3.999 mV

Opamp strange behaviour? Bug1_010

Figure 2 is the same problem with values multiplied by 1000:

Opamp strange behaviour? Bug1_110

Gain in 2nd case is 1000. In first case no matter the gain I use, the result is 0V

4Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:54 am

Defran

Defran

Please, In order to staudy the problems, re-edit all your posts attaching your schematics in zip, so We can see the configurations details as well, and so on. Also tell us the version of Simulide and the operative system used. Thanks.

KerimF likes this post

5Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:41 pm

vranik

Hi,
the equation A = - Rf / Ri is valid only for amplifiers with infinity gain. If there is finite gain you should use this equation

Code:
A =(Aoa*Rf) / ( Rf + Ri – Aoa*Ri )

where Aoa is gain of operational amplifier - the gain set in properties of operational amplifier. In this case Aoa = -1000.

Code:
A = ( -1000 * 2000000 ) / ( 2000000 + 5000 + 1000 * 5000 ) = -285.51

Therefore there is no mistake in SimulIDE.

6Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:29 pm

vranik

In the second case there is also no problem. Only the probes don't show too small voltages. It is rounded to zero. Use voltmetr instead of probes and you will see that it works correctly.

arcachofo likes this post

7Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:53 pm

KerimF

KerimF

And it seems that the opamp is supplied internally by both a positive and negative voltage having relatively very high values. So, my remark on post #2 is not valid. In this case, the opamp output could be negative and positive as well (I mean, there is no bug in this respect).

I was just confused because in all my designs I try to avoid the necessity to add a negative supply for my opamps. So, I was surprised seeing a negative output which is normal in SimulIDE.

8Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:39 pm

blitobyte

blitobyte

Defran wrote:Please, In order to staudy the problems, re-edit all your posts attaching your schematics in zip, so We can see the configurations details as well, and so on. Also tell us the version of Simulide and the operative system used. Thanks.

Hi, following your instructions I edited my old post and added a zip, but I cannot see it on the reposted message. Can you see the zip?

9Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:41 pm

blitobyte

blitobyte

KerimF wrote:

On a real circuit, if Vin=1, Vout will be close to zero (close to the opamp ground voltage).
I mean, on your schematic, I am afraid that any negative value at the opamp output is simply a bug to be fixed in SimulIDE.

Hi KerimF. My My problem is not -400V, I mean, not the minus sign. My problem was the result. I was expecting -400V, which was ok, but I didn't get unless I incremented the gain up to 10000000.

10Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:45 pm

blitobyte

blitobyte

KerimF wrote:

One more thing KerimF. A negative voltage from an inverting opamp is ok. That's not a SimulIDE bug. The problem was the value.

11Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:15 pm

blitobyte

blitobyte

vranik wrote:Hi,
the equation A = - Rf / Ri is valid only for amplifiers with infinity gain. If there is finite gain you should use this equation

Code:
A =(Aoa*Rf) / ( Rf + Ri – Aoa*Ri )

where Aoa is gain of operational amplifier - the gain set in properties of operational amplifier. In this case Aoa = -1000.

Code:
A = ( -1000 * 2000000 ) / ( 2000000 + 5000 + 1000 * 5000 ) = -285.51

Therefore there is no mistake in SimulIDE.

Hi vranik. Ok. I understand what the problem is.
Code:
A = - (Aoa*Rf) / ( Rf + Ri – Aoa*Ri )

Thanks

12Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:17 pm

blitobyte

blitobyte

KerimF wrote:And it seems that the opamp is supplied internally by both a positive and negative voltage having relatively very high values. So, my remark on post #2 is not valid. In this case, the opamp output could be negative and positive as well (I mean, there is no bug in this respect).

I was just confused because in all my designs I try to avoid the necessity to add a negative supply for my opamps. So, I was surprised seeing a negative output which is normal in SimulIDE.

Yes, KerimF. Thanks for your comments.

13Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:44 pm

KerimF

KerimF

blitobyte wrote:
Defran wrote:Please, In order to staudy the problems, re-edit all your posts attaching your schematics in zip, so We can see the configurations details as well, and so on. Also tell us the version of Simulide and the operative system used. Thanks.

Hi, following your instructions I edited my old post and added a zip, but I cannot see it on the reposted message. Can you see the zip?

Perhaps, its size is more than 49 Kbytes.

14Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:20 am

Alex68

Alex68

In all my schemes in the program, op-amps are well simulated in my program.
You just need to prescribe real supply voltages, at least unipolar or bipolar, set the output resistance, gain.
 So everything is fine with the op-amp models!Opamp strange behaviour? 2023-228
Opamp strange behaviour? 2023-229
Opamp strange behaviour? 2023-230

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/847aUsO0Cvesiw

15Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:50 am

Alex68

Alex68

Opamp strange behaviour? 2023-231
Opamp strange behaviour? 2023-232

16Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:13 pm

blitobyte

blitobyte

KerimF wrote:
blitobyte wrote:

Perhaps, its size is more than 49 Kbytes.

Yes KerimF. One of the zips was bigger.It contained a png. Too big.

I'll bear it in mind for next time.

Thanks

17Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:49 pm

blitobyte

blitobyte

Alex68 wrote:In all my schemes in the program, op-amps are well simulated in my program.
You just need to prescribe real supply voltages, at least unipolar or bipolar, set the output resistance, gain.

Hi Alex68. A couple of things:

1. Any reason to include the opamp source voltages? The two 12V batteries? For circuit clarity sake? The opamps work without, don't they?
2. What's the triangular 270mV symbol? I caanot find it on my SimulIDE (V1.0.0 R1334)

18Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:07 am

Alex68

Alex68

blitobyte wrote:
Alex68 wrote:In all my schemes in the program, op-amps are well simulated in my program.

On all circuit diagrams with op amps, power sources are always indicated. In order to see them. The program can also be done internally. But better with external pins.
Then there will be fewer questions from developers who do not have this program.

Hi Alex68. A couple of things:

1. Any reason to include the opamp source voltages? The two 12V batteries? For circuit clarity sake? The opamps work without, don't they?
2. What's the triangular 270mV symbol? I caanot find it on my SimulIDE (V1.0.0 R1334)

19Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:12 am

Alex68

Alex68

Opamp strange behaviour? 2023-233

20Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:22 am

Alex68

Alex68

Assembly p1334 is not installed for me. I don't work for her.

21Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:40 am

blitobyte

blitobyte

Alex68 wrote:Opamp strange behaviour? 2023-233

Ok, I see. But excuse my ignorance, I'm a really basic student of electronics (studying hard, though ;-) and I've browsed the internet for the difference between a line power and a rail power and it seems that the latter is more to do with big current and the former with information, is that it? Are they interchangable in terms of practicality?

22Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:19 pm

Alex68

Alex68

You can put power on the op-amp in programs both inside and using pins with external sources. The consumption currents of Oy must be the same in this case. I'm used to doing external power in all programs.
Signal adder :
Opamp strange behaviour? 2023-234
Opamp strange behaviour? 2023-235Opamp strange behaviour? 2023-236

23Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:11 pm

Alex68

Alex68

Amplitude Modulator on the adder:Opamp strange behaviour? 2023-237

24Opamp strange behaviour? Empty Re: Opamp strange behaviour? Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:29 pm

Alex68

Alex68

Two op-amp pulse generators with different power suppliesOpamp strange behaviour? 2023-238

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum