Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Learning to use SimulIDE

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Learning to use SimulIDE Empty Learning to use SimulIDE Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:05 pm

seany

Hi I am new here.

I am trying to learn how to use SimulIDE. I wanted to simulate the oscillator as shown in this GreatSCOTT video here.

(Jump to 1:43 please)

I have attached my SimulIDE simulation here. But I can't seem to get any waveform. The probes are always constant.

I think this is due to a race condition between the transistors. Can anyone please help me to get the Oscillator going? Thank you.

2Learning to use SimulIDE Empty Re: Learning to use SimulIDE Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:00 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

Hi.

Your attachment didn't work, you must zip the file to be accepted.

These oscillator are tricky to simulate, you probably will need to tune some parameters.

3Learning to use SimulIDE Empty Re: Learning to use SimulIDE Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:02 pm

seany

Here is Zip
Attachments
Learning to use SimulIDE Attachmentclock003.simu.zip
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(3 Kb) Downloaded 2 times

arcachofo likes this post

4Learning to use SimulIDE Empty Re: Learning to use SimulIDE Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:08 pm

seany

And here is another one, an LC tank. Also same problem
Attachments
Learning to use SimulIDE Attachmentclock004.simu.zip
(2 Kb) Downloaded 2 times

5Learning to use SimulIDE Empty Re: Learning to use SimulIDE Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:18 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

And here is another one, an LC tank. Also same problem
Have a look at:
File Explorer->Examples->Passive->RLC->RLC_Resonator.simu
Double-click on it to open in circuit canvas.

6Learning to use SimulIDE Empty Re: Learning to use SimulIDE Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:30 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

For the oscillator you can try to break a little bit the symmetry:
In one side set capacitor to 10.5 uF and resistor to 46 KΩ for example, this will help.

I didn't remember that there is already one example like your circuit:
File Explorer->Examples->Passive->Transistor->npn_vco.simu

seany likes this post

7Learning to use SimulIDE Empty Re: Learning to use SimulIDE Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:48 pm

seany

Oh, that is a nice idea.
Thank you.

I got it running by changing the wire layout a bit too. But I have a different issue now.

First, we see the system running nicely.

Learning to use SimulIDE Screen10

I copied the same oscillator to the right side.

Now, I add the output of one oscillator to the input of another via a diode and a switch. I am exploring what will happen, and checking with my own understanding.

Learning to use SimulIDE Screen11

See, even when switch is off, it has gone quite mad.

Now, I remove the wire connecting one oscillator to the input of the other. The final output remains strange. It does not return as the original, although it should. The oscillators are disconnected, so I would expect the output to return to what was in the first image.

Learning to use SimulIDE Screen12

It becomes normal after i restart SimulIDE.

I wonder how can I ensure that I am doing everything right, so that I get the correct results?

8Learning to use SimulIDE Empty More tests with analog oscillators. Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:41 am

seany

Here is another case. I tried to simulate this: https://circuitdigest.com/electronic-circuits/sine-wave-generator-circuit

More specifically :

Learning to use SimulIDE Simple10

The oscilloscope once shows 18.xx kHz, then the line goes flat, but the kHz value does not update. I have tested with multiple gain value of the transistor (it should be between 100 and 800, but i tried 5 and 1000) and various values of the resistors and caps. The symmetry is broken in the simulation as shown in the attachment.

I tested the RLC-Resonator -0.simu in the examples. The probe remains at 0V. No appreciable change occurs. Even by adding an Oscilloscope, I can see nothing.

I would like to understand why i am wrong. Thank you.
Attachments
Learning to use SimulIDE Attachmentclock006.simu.zip
(3 Kb) Downloaded 3 times

9Learning to use SimulIDE Empty Re: Learning to use SimulIDE Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:43 am

arcachofo

arcachofo

Now, I add the output of one oscillator to the input of another via a diode and a switch. I am exploring what will happen, and checking with my own understanding.
There you are connecting 5V to the oscillator in right side, not the output.

Here is another case. I tried to simulate this: https://circuitdigest.com/electronic-circuits/sine-wave-generator-circuit

More specifically :

The oscilloscope once shows 18.xx kHz, then the line goes flat, but the kHz value does not update. I have tested with multiple gain value of the transistor (it should be between 100 and 800, but i tried 5 and 1000) and various values of the resistors and caps.
The circuit you attached is wrong.
Build exactly the same circuit, set transistor gain to 200 for example and it will work.

The symmetry is broken in the simulation as shown in the attachment.
This is not a symmetric oscillator, you should use the same exact values shown in the scheme.

I tested the RLC-Resonator -0.simu in the examples. The probe remains at 0V. No appreciable change occurs. Even by adding an Oscilloscope, I can see nothing.
Close the switch, then open it and it will work.

10Learning to use SimulIDE Empty Re: Learning to use SimulIDE Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:54 pm

seany

arcachofo wrote:
There you are connecting 5V to the oscillator in right side, not the output.

The oscillator output is in the outer arms of the 4 resistor lines that connect to the capacitors. I take one of those outputs in the right, and feed it via a switch to the oscillator output of the left hand system (also an outer arm).

arcachofo wrote:
The circuit you attached is wrong.
Build exactly the same circuit, set transistor gain to 200 for example and it will work.

This time, the oscilloscope says 4.xx kHz, and i can see the probe very slowly dropping in value, until it goes to some lower limit, Then it jumps back. So there is some oscillation, but extremely slowly and no Oscilloscope output.

arcachofo wrote:
Close the switch, then open it and it will work.

It does not though, the power supply lights up when i activate it, but the switch has no effect.
Attachments
Learning to use SimulIDE Attachmentclock006.simu (2).zip
(4 Kb) Downloaded 3 times

11Learning to use SimulIDE Empty Re: Learning to use SimulIDE Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:12 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

The oscillator output is in the outer arms of the 4 resistor lines that connect to the capacitors. I take one of those outputs in the right, and feed it via a switch to the oscillator output of the left hand system (also an outer arm).
That is not what I see in the picture.

This time, the oscilloscope says 4.xx kHz, and i can see the probe very slowly dropping in value, until it goes to some lower limit, Then it jumps back. So there is some oscillation, but extremely slowly and no Oscilloscope output.
You can change "ReacStep" to 1:
Right-click in the circuit canvas and select "Properties".

And I see that the "Auto" mode in the oscilloscope is not working properly, don't use it in this circuit.
To see the waveform you need to adjust it manually.

It does not though, the power supply lights up when i activate it, but the switch has no effect.
Ok...
- Turn on the power supply.
- Close the switch button.
- Open the switch button.

Or use RLC_Resonator.simu instead.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum