Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Debugger May Lost its Cursor

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Empty The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:08 am

KerimF

KerimF

SimulIDE_1.0.1-R1386_Win32

I wrote an AVR assembly code (ATmega8) for the acid battery charger. It is somehow complex because it considers many cases.

After fixing many bugs, I got finally: SUCCESS!!! Compilation Ok.

So I prepared myself to find and fix many more serious bugs by running the debugger.

I started the debugger.
When it became ready, I pressed ‘Step’.
But the simulation run continuously as if I pressed ‘Run to Breakpoint’.
So, I pressed ‘Pause’ to see at which instruction the debugger cursor is.
The simulation stopped and the cursor was on the first line!
So, I set a breakpoint at an initial instruction then I pressed ‘Reset’ followed by ‘Run to Breakpoint’.
Again, there was no halt. And by pressing ‘Pause’, the cursor didn’t move from the 1st line.

In brief, no matter what I did, the debugger couldn’t let its cursor move from the first line, and, therefore, it couldn’t detect any breakpoint.

In case this shouldn’t happen no matter sim1 and asm files might be, I will attach the rather big files shown below (after being zipped).

The related files to this situation are:

XF_3-2_09a.asm [99K] , XF_3-2_09a.sim1 [44K] , XF_3-2_09a.hex [11K]
Zipped [33K]

And

XF_3-2_09a.lst [203K],
Zipped [40K]

2The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Empty Re: The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:52 am

arcachofo

arcachofo

There are many things that can happen:

- Does it generate a valid firmware? (have a look at the lst file)
- Are there any source lines mapped? (look at the messages at bottom panel)
- Is the PC increasing while debugging? (have a look at Mcu Monitor)

I don't have those files.
Maybe some error while attaching?

3The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Empty Re: The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:54 am

KerimF

KerimF

arcachofo wrote:There are many things that can happen:

- Does it generate a valid firmware? (have a look at the lst file)
- Are there any source lines mapped? (look at the messages at bottom  panel)
- Is the PC increasing while debugging? (have a look at Mcu Monitor)

I don't have those files.
Maybe some error while attaching?

I didn't attach them before hearing your comment because their sizes are relatively big.

Please note, I will send them as they are.
The comments in the code may be wrong, if not silly sometimes, because I didn't revise them to save time.
Also, the circuit is not finished. So it doesn't matter if it won't run right.

But I hope they will help to know what makes the debugger loses its control over its cursor.
Attachments
The Debugger May Lost its Cursor AttachmentXF_3-2_09a_1.zip
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(33 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
The Debugger May Lost its Cursor AttachmentXF_3-2_09a_2.zip
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(40 Kb) Downloaded 1 times

4The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Empty Re: The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:16 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

Seems like the Microcontroller is in reset state.
It is configured to use the reset pin but there is no reset circuit.

5The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Empty Re: The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:06 pm

KerimF

KerimF

arcachofo wrote:Seems like the Microcontroller is in reset state.

Many thanks, I knew I missed something as usual Embarassed
Sorry, for taking your time.

6The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Empty Re: The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:16 pm

KerimF

KerimF

arcachofo wrote:Seems like the Microcontroller is in reset state.

It seems, on your side, after you deselected pinC6 (to let it be an open I/O pin) or you just connected pinC6 to 5V (to reset MCU), the debugger cursor moved normally.

On my side, these two changes couldn’t solve the issue. In other words, there is no connection between the circuit and the active debugger other than ‘powering the circuit’ and ‘pausing the simulation’.

7The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Empty Re: The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:12 am

arcachofo

arcachofo

I just assumed that it was the only problem.
I didn't realize that Frequency = 0 MHz.

8The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Empty Re: The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:48 am

KerimF

KerimF

arcachofo wrote:I just assumed that it was the only problem.
I didn't realize that Frequency = 0 MHz.

Embarassed

My bad, I used programming the MCUs with a parallel programmer (not a serial one). So I wrote a small DOS exe to append automatically (when called by a batch file, see 2nd line in XF_3-2_09.asm) the settings of the fuses at the end of the hex file, right after 'AVR Studio' creates it (post task).

I have to remember now that the hex file, generated by SimulIDE, is a conventional one which is not supposed to include the fuses and locks bits.

Thank you again for being patient and continuous care.

Last edited by KerimF on Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

9The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Empty Re: The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:33 am

arcachofo

arcachofo

I found that the issue with frequency = 0 is an error.
It should set a default value, usually 16 MHz for AVRs, but this was broken after a recent change.

Solved at trunk Rev 1430.

KerimF likes this post

10The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Empty Re: The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:32 am

KerimF

KerimF

arcachofo wrote:I found that the issue with frequency = 0 is an error.
It should set a default value, usually 16 MHz for AVRs, but this was broken after a recent change.

Solved at trunk Rev 1430.

Although I usually run my ATmega8 MCUs at 8 MHz (the upper limit of their internal oscillator), the 16 MHz default is much better than 0. Smile

11The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Empty Re: The Debugger May Lost its Cursor Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:41 am

arcachofo

arcachofo

Although I usually run my ATmega8 MCUs at 8 MHz (the upper limit of their internal oscillator), the 16 MHz default is much better than 0.
The problem happened after implementing default frequencies for each model.
Previously all MCUs defaulted to 16 MHz.
Now there are defaults for AVR=16 and PIC=20, but it is possible to set a default value for individual models.

KerimF likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum