Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Undo Buffer kind of strange (R872)

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Undo Buffer kind of strange (R872) Empty Undo Buffer kind of strange (R872) Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:37 am

TimFisch

TimFisch

I copied two connected parts and found some strange behaviour:

bug1: some of the pins of the copy got new wiring, when the copy overlays another component.

bug2: when moving the copy copy without dropping (only drag), and then trying to undo, the wiring gets mixed up. It looks like the position where it got dragged is also stored in the undo buffer, but only for the wires.

Some students also mentioned, that they got after copying and undoing another copy over the copy. However, I was not able to reproduce this bug.

Example of the reproducable bugs see here:
https://wiki.mexle.org/_media/simulide_bugs/2022-01-22_01-27-42.mkv

Last edited by arcachofo on Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:31 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Marked as solved (green color).)

https://wiki.mexle.hs-heilbronn.de/

2Undo Buffer kind of strange (R872) Empty Re: Undo Buffer kind of strange (R872) Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:23 am

arcachofo

arcachofo

I think this is related to "Auto-connect".

Maybe the auto_connect feature should use some other key or a different method.
Let me think about a solution.

3Undo Buffer kind of strange (R872) Empty Re: Undo Buffer kind of strange (R872) Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:23 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

This should be solved at Rev 878.

In any case I will change the key for auto-connect.
Using Ctrl is not the best choice.
I think we could use a combination like +C.
What do you think?

4Undo Buffer kind of strange (R872) Empty Re: Undo Buffer kind of strange (R872) Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:54 pm

TimFisch

TimFisch

How does activating Auto connect work? Does this mean after + C for copy one has to press +C before +V for inserting?

5Undo Buffer kind of strange (R872) Empty Re: Undo Buffer kind of strange (R872) Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:34 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

How does activating Auto connect work?
Auto connect just connects things automatically.
Currently it's done by pressing Ctrl and moving the component you want to connect.
Before it only connected pins.
Now also can connect to wires:

The tricky part is that you need to move the component in order to connect it.
This is useful if you want to connect just 2 pins:
Just press ctrl, move the component close the other one and they will connect.
When there are many pins is not that easy and often connections are wrong if you are not careful.

The problem is that if you press Ctrl and move some component, their pins will try to connect to everything they find in the way.

This method is fast and easy to use if you are aware of it and don't press Ctrl and move things unless you want to connect.
But if you don't know about it it can be problematic.

So I'm thinking to change the keys to something else than just Ctrl.
Also thinking about other method that does not involve moving the component.

6Undo Buffer kind of strange (R872) Empty Re: Undo Buffer kind of strange (R872) Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:08 pm

TimFisch

TimFisch

... I just realised, that simulide has this "<ctrl> = connect to nearby pins" feature.. Undo Buffer kind of strange (R872) 1f60b

Therefore, the user (=me) made the mistake... I do copying with one finger continuously on the <ctrl> key.  Undo Buffer kind of strange (R872) 1f616

I think using <shift> instead of <ctrl> for activating this feature would be better. By this, also false fingering user do not mistakenly activate the feature (some students had this problem, too).

7Undo Buffer kind of strange (R872) Empty Re: Undo Buffer kind of strange (R872) Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:04 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

Therefore, the user (=me) made the mistake... I do copying with one finger continuously on the key.

I think using instead of for activating this feature would be better. By this, also false fingering user do not mistakenly activate the feature (some students had this problem, too).
Yes, using only is not an smart solution and most people don't know about this feature.
Even only using could create problems in some case.
Better use a combination, this is slower to use, but is better than having "random" connectors appearing out of the nothing.

8Undo Buffer kind of strange (R872) Empty Re: Undo Buffer kind of strange (R872) Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:15 am

arcachofo

arcachofo

Auto-connect changed to + Move at Rev 977.
Also some checks added to avoid interferences when loading, pasting, etc.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum