Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170

3 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Empty Re: Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:43 pm

Mistral

Hallo again,
When I downloaded Simulide 04.xx I looked what is new inside and there where a lot of new IC's and oscope etc. Very nice. I also saw tunnel. Picked it up, didn't know what to do with it. Searched internet for tunnel but no meaningfull results. Until yesterday, when I saw Fizik_S' beautifull clock and I realised that a tunnel is what they elsewhere call a (wire or bus) label. By the way, the easyness with which Simulide can handle changes in the circuit without having to stop the simulation I find a very powerfull feature. To come to the point, I am placing extra displays. Not only displays, the whole output section below the oscoop I am duplicating four more times for A, B, Instr. and Alu contents. 
What I seem to notice is that it seems to be better not to copy tunnels but to take for each new tunnel a new one from the components column on the left side. When I copy one I see that their ID-name stays the same. I wonder what you think, should this matter to copy a tunnel or not or am I just reaching the limits of what Simulide can handle? I have two displays extra now with all 'fresh' seperate individual tunnels and so far its going good where before with the copied ones it gave problems.
Oh, and after copying I changed their names of course so there where no double tunnels.

27Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Empty Re: Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:40 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

I am placing extra displays. Not only displays, the whole output section below the oscoop I am duplicating four more times for A, B, Instr. and Alu contents.
For that purpose it would be much much more efficient if you use bcd 7segments (in Logic section).

EDIT:
For example this is how they are used in 8bit_CPU-B16.simu example:

Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 7seg10

What I seem to notice is that it seems to be better not to copy tunnels but to take for each new tunnel a new one from the components column on the left side. When I copy one I see that their ID-name stays the same. I wonder what you think, should this matter to copy a tunnel or not
In theory it should not matter, if you edit the name it should have the same effect as if you add a new one.

or am I just reaching the limits of what Simulide can handle?
You already reached what simulide is supposed to handle long time ago...  Laughing

I have two displays extra now with all 'fresh' seperate individual tunnels and so far its going good where before with the copied ones it gave problems.
Not sure what can be the problem...
ICs are also fresh or copy/pasted?

28Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Empty Re: Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:02 am

Mistral

I took for each tunnel a separate one, 96 times, pff.
Only thing I can say is that it went much better with the separates. In fact no problem at all.
Yes, it gets slower but I kept the properties speed at default so I can compare the difference. Went from about 88% to 20%, quite a reduction. Probably not possible to simulate together with the cpu on this speed and with all these components. But oke, the original only has one display. And must say, I have been using Simulide since version 2 and am happy surprised as well that it keeps going strong, much stronger.

Yes, this morning I looked at the 7-segment bcd display and tested it with the 74HC161, the one you so sharply noticed it was wrong connected. Made a lot of effort to get the two eeproms right which was not so easy with all these long wires close together in the schematic and forgot the basic stuff.
Have put a hand clock in that cpu section, all leds are counting. Didn't test it before. Speaking about leds, the 8 leds at the instr. section are likely to go in hope to get some more speed. Am not very good in adjusting the speed settings  in properties but will try some more.
Tested one 7-seg bcd with the 161, which has 4 bits output, and at 15 it showed an F hexadecimal. Not so nice to read with numbers that go up to 255 so I went for human easy to read displays. Great feature that its possible to extend one display without extra wiring.  
By the way, there is a 2-complements button in this circuit but it only translates numbers to its negative when they go above 127. Have to look again how that works.

Everything else was copied, only the tunnel components not. I added a post in Simulide projects.

Have a nice evening and thanks for your help again.

29Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Empty Re: Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:27 pm

Fizik_S

Fizik_S

Hello. There are a few comments on the scheme:
1. The tunnel has the "Rotated"property. If it is set as "True", then the name will be read correctly.
Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Tunnel10
2. The part of the circuit with Dip switches can be simplified:
Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Dip_sw10
this will slightly increase the speed.
3. Here, 2 generators are connected to the same wire. In the simulator, this works, in reality, there will be a short circuit and the chip will fail.
Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Clk10

4. Arduino can be removed from the circuit. It has nothing to do with the project, i.e. it only reduces the system performance during simulation.

5. The scheme can be simplified without losing functionality.

30Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Empty Re: Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:11 pm

Mistral

Thank you Fizik, it is appreciated.
@1, I saw the rotation option, tried it a few times but nog good enough I guess. Only am using it since yesterday. Now I know.
2. To open and close the ds is not so comfortable, like in real life so that is realistic simulated. Of course it helps when you zoom in but I handle the buttons in full view, that is, in full view down to de instruction registers'leds. The text is not easy to read on my average size lapscreen but I know by now where each button is and placed them on purpose in the middle. And dipswitches combined with buttons I find much easier to turn on or off.
3 I thought I had that single ds closed. Will take a look again.
4,5 Yes, it's right what you say. Like in Bens project he uses the nano to program the display eeprom and so did I. I left it there because I don't want to open a separate simulide for it and wanted to keep everything in the same session. Now maybe this can be done with a subcircuit but I still have to find out how that has to be set up. At first the nano had Bens eeprom display program inside and every time I started the sim it went erasing and programming the eeprom connected to it. So I've put a blanco program inside, a do nothing. Couldn't find exactly how to remove completely the nano's program. Anyway, in the previous set up with this blanco it didn't seem to slow down things anymore.

There are several things in the planning, I want to remove the clock section, replace it with a single generator, remove the oscope, replacing the leds with probes and fizzling the speed settings like NoLinAcc in properties to try to get faster performance, and also not forgetting to take in consideration that I have an average, not super fast computer. I want to learn more about this and am not only looking for better efficiency, but every tip is welcome of course.
Next I want to go back to Bens original with the 189 you so kindly provided and added to Simulide. Thank you again. I will let you know how that went by the time it gets shape.

Ps, to Arcachofo, I found back how the 2-complement is supposed to function. It's shown at the end of video 33, from about minute 30:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLh1n2dErzE&list=PLowKtXNTBypGqImE405J2565dvjafglHU&index=33

Ps2, somebody mentioned the 373, he made a very good real bb-project with Z80
https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/66151706#66151706
Want to try if the 373 makes any difference where I used the 273 in the ram-section I had problem with. You also mentioned that the 273 outputs have effect. Didn't read the whole datasheet yet but the 373 has tri-state output option. 
A lot of more testing to do as you can see   Cool

Rearranged some things but I have not muched changed the circuit. 
Clock and nano are still in the field but off. Oscope is removed. Speed settings still at default and after letting the program run for a while so it can settle itself the speed is now up to 45 - 50%. 

https://github.com/Alectus/Breadboard-8-bit-simulation./blob/main/BB5%20moving%20stuff%20completed.simu

Incredible superb! Clockgenerator at 2Hz, speed shows around 20% but I still get 1 pulse every second or so. And look at the display demuxes, all five of them at 250Hz Shocked 
Very stable displays, no flickering at all anymore. Thumbs up.  Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

https://github.com/Alectus/Breadboard-8-bit-simulation./blob/main/BB5%20moving%20stuff%20completed%20automaat.PNG

Last edited by Mistral on Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:19 am; edited 7 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling edits + Ps)

31Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Empty Re: Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:40 pm

Fizik_S

Fizik_S

Mistral, I tested your latest circuit on an old laptop. The results are as follows:
removing the generators from the NE555 circuit gave a speed increase of 2-3%,
removing the programmer from the arduino circuit increased the simulation speed by more than 10%.
You can speed up the simulation even more if you replace the dynamic display with a static one. There are 74185 chips-a binary-to-binary-decimal converter. There is also a 74184-a binary-decimal-to-binary code converter. I was already thinking of making models of these chips. If you are interested, please let us know.
arcachofo offered a variant of the display on the indicators, which is in the program (see post 27). But these are virtual indicators. SimulIDE has a model of the MC14495 chip that converts a 4-bit binary code into a seven-segment indicator code with the digits 0-9, A, B,C,d, E, F. It also has an input code latch, which will simplify the display scheme. I recommend using it in your scheme. Displaying the contents of the memory in hexadecimal form (2 digits 0-FF) is much more convenient than 3 digits of a decimal number (0-255).

32Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Empty Re: Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:21 am

Mistral

Thank you Fizik, I've read your suggestions and I am always interested having more components in Simulide. The components supply has already been increased significantly in the last few versions and I am very gratefull for that. Am also a little tired now so I will look at your post again later.
I replaced my ram-section with your 74xx189 and it is going exactly as in Ben Eaters original. That means I can use his program to upload it in the control unit. So I am just 1 step away from completion. 
After that I will do some more testing with speed, other components etc. 
For now this speed is oke for me, don't want it to go as fast as Ben's computer because than you can't even read the displays and you'll have to halt it.
Made some mistakes with wiring but because of the decimal displays I could find the cause better. Counting probes from lsb to msb is not much fun but indeed hexadecimal is an option.

One more question, if somebody else wants to try my simu-file with the same 0.4.14-SR4 version that I have, will they also see the 74xx189's? I guess not, but am not fully sure, so I want to mention that in Github and refer the reader to this help topic. In part 1 I have mentioned it for the reset pin of the 173's.

Here is the .simu file and also a picture, it has BB6 in the title.
https://github.com/Alectus/Breadboard-8-bit-simulation.

Thanks, thanks again for helping me realise this, have a nice evening and also arcachofo.

arcachofo likes this post

33Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Empty Re: Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:33 pm

Mistral

Hi Fizik,
Been reading your suggestions again with fresh eyes and I have implemented two 7-seg to Bcd displays. It is possible now to see the bus value in binary, hexadecimal and decimal. I really love the Simulide decimal displays, don't want to loose them!  Very Happy
And one of them is in Ben Eaters original and want to stick with that as far as possible. And Team Simulide has made that possible by providing the 189's. So, sticking to the original, at this moment I can't place the Ic's you mentioned. Shall test them later though. Yes, it is true, I removed Ben's 74LS273 Octal D-register in front of the Output display eeprom
https://eater.net/8bit/output
but it is not very difficult to place it back, I will drop it in the circuit with a note. All the other components are, if I am not mistaken, just like in the original. Added 4 more displays but I think they give extra flare to the circuit.
I found the MC14495, thanks, will give it a try.
Not sure what you mean by generators in the 555 clock circuit?
About the dipswitches, I found that they can stay open, the 157's A or B selectors will block that section when set to run mode.
I compacted the registers so I have room to connect the logic control to the buttons. Am planning not to remove the buttons but to make it possible to switch between control mode and manual mode.
Is there a bus switch? I guess not but deleting the buscable and drawing a new one is just as easy and is good enough for me. It also shows the enormous flexibility and strength of Simulide, making alternations and you don't even have to stop the simulator! 
Try that in Proteus! (I have the demo)
Maybe I'll use tunnels again but it is also nice when one can see and follow the wire connections. The Nano I need again for programming the control eeproms, after that I will remove it. It's true, the Nano is not part of the original. Ben kept it separate. 
https://github.com/beneater/eeprom-programmer
I will add an extra file to github with the nano as a separate circuit afterwards. 
About the speed, for now as long as everything goes smoothly, that is, that when for example you press a button and the program is not stalling and responds almost immediatly, which it does, then it is fine for me.
My new version, that is almost not revised but mostly only rearranged, has the title BB7. 
Tested it, didn't notice any bugs anymore.
Picture included.
https://github.com/Alectus/Breadboard-8-bit-simulation.

Ps, maybe you like to consider adding some Z80 components? 
I noticed they are very popular in retrotronics  clown

About using an old laptop and the speed, I have this one, which is not so old but not all too expensive at the time, maybe 3, 4, 5 years ago when I bought it, for I think € 450,- 

Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 System12

What I don't understand yet.
Suppose, on average the speed shows 25%.
The Simulide clock generator is set to 2 Hz.
Then you might expect to see one pulse every 2 seconds or so.
But I see it closer to and maybe even below 1 second. (didn't measure it)

I saw at Tweakers forum somebody talking about simulation. He said, well, if you can realise the same speed in a simulator they wouldn't have to build the hardware anymore, would they?

I find that a very wise conclusion. Also I don't think it is all about speed. When you see on television a slow motion when Arsenal scores a goal, it has all the same moves as watching it life in the football stadium.

Last edited by Mistral on Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:56 am; edited 16 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling corrections)

34Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Empty Re: Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:27 pm

Fizik_S

Fizik_S

Not sure what you mean by generators in the 555 clock circuit?
The clock circuit on the NE555 is the generator.

One more question, if somebody else wants to try my simu-file with the same 0.4.14-SR4 version that I have, will they also see the 74xx189's? I guess not, but am not fully sure, so I want to mention that in Github and refer the reader to this help topic.
If there is an update of the program of this version, the specified chip will appear in the database. Therefore, it is advisable to make a link to the archive with the models of these chips.

Ps, maybe you like to consider adding some Z80 components?
I noticed they are very popular in retrotronics.

The model of the processor Z80, i8080, i8085 and some other chips have long been made by programmers from Russia for Proteus. I have already developed a simple computer on the Z80 in the simulator. You need a powerful enough computer for the simulation. If the Z80 processor model appears in SimulIDE, the program will become even more popular and popular among fans. I have an i8080 processor circuit (it has about 700 logic gates, triggers, registers, decoders, etc.). Theoretically, it can be adapted for SimulIDE as a model, but not every computer can simulate it at normal speed. I.e., you need to make the model in the same way as the models of microcontrollers.

35Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Empty Re: Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:02 am

Mistral

''Simulide is a simple real time electronic circuit simulator''
https://www.simulide.com/p/home.html

I think this is too modest, which is not a shame of course. 
Pretty advanced and growing fast is what I would say.
Well, at least the word ''simple'' can be ommitted.
Therefore, it is advisable to make a link to the archive with the models of these chips.

Where can I find this archive please?
I mentioned it in the Readme from my Github. I wrote that who wants these chips 189 and the 173 with reset-pin can go to this help-topic and linked it.

Am connecting the control logic now, using (rotated) tunnels, with names this time and not numbers. Too much to wire and makes it unnecessary complex to view.

May I add a suggestion? It would be a nice extra feature if one can give the bus lines a different colour. 
Control logic seems to be working, had to  disconnect the Carry and Zero Flag section left under. That section comes in a later video. Removed the nano, went probably too slow to program anyway so I used the stand-alone version in another simu-file. Speed went up to about 30%. I'll tell more about it tomorrow. Am very happy with this, thanks again for both your help.   Very Happy
Getting problems now. Testing, so I stop the program (not paused but stopped),remove a wire, press save, want to start the program again and it crashes everytime I press the start button.
And also this:
Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Logic_10

Struggling with the bus connectors. Probe CE under is on, probe CE above it is off? (sometimes its on but the tunnel CE never goes on).
CE is counter enable, see the section above it.
I've put the simu-file here:
https://github.com/Alectus/Z80-Breadboard-Simulation/blob/main/BB8%20connecting%20controls%20Nano%20removed.simu
You have to give the clock 1 pulse to get at this position.
I'll figure it out eventually I hope, but maybe you are interested in some feedback.
Fixed it. Removed the bus connector to the tunnels and placed the tunnels directly on the outputs. Guess it has a limit on the number of bus connectors you can use on the same wires.

Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Logic_11

Simulide still crashes after every change in the circuit.

@Fizik_S, very interresting what you tell about the Z80, didn't know it would take all these extra features to get it working because there are already so many micro's in Simulide.

36Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Empty Re: Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:01 pm

Mistral

Made quite some changes. I'll not tell about every hick-up but in short what I noticed, is that connecting lots of tunnels to bus connectors is in my humble opinion not a very reliable and stable situation. Most of the tunnels did their job but not all of them is what I noticed.
Removed all the manual mode buttons and as much bus connectors as possible and Simulide is not crashing anymore and secondly, the program is tested and it works! cheers

Thanks again to you both, without your help this would not have come so far.
I've posted it in the projects-section.
https://simulide.forumotion.com/t116-bread-board-8-bit-simulation#555

Oh, and I've made the schematic, the Output display section, back to Ben's original again.
I had to, to get the same result.

37Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Empty Re: Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:50 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

Nice to know you got it working!

Struggling with the bus connectors. Probe CE under is on, probe CE above it is off? (sometimes its on but the tunnel CE never goes on).
You reached one of the limitations of simulide.
Buses in the way you are using it is not possible by now:
You can't get data from one bus and feed to another bus.
This does not work in simulide (with or without tunnels):

Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Busesn10

@Fizik_S, very interresting what you tell about the Z80, didn't know it would take all these extra features to get it working because there are already so many micro's in Simulide.
As Fizic said, the only efficient way to implement Z80 in simulide would be writting a simulator for that cpu and perifericals.

To get an idea of what that means:
Simulide currently has around 135000 lines of code, aproximately divided like this:
- 40000 for AVR simulation (simavr).
- 50000 for PIC simulation (gpsim).
- 45000 for the rest of simulide.

All AVRs use the same cpu.
PICs has 3 families, but mainly 2 cpus.

Simulide uses simulators for AVRs and PICs already available, with some modifications or aditions.
But even just getting them to work in simulide took hundreds of hours of work (and it's not finished).

38Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Empty Re: Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:42 am

Mistral

Yeah, you might wonder why I used busses in this situation in the first place. Because Ben's project is modular and had drawn it beforehand I put it in the main circuit. To make the drawing in such a way so I could later see and remember what all the connections are for I used the bus connectors so I could draw the wires and name them. Once placed into the main circuit I was lazy and used another bus and another bus to hook it al up. Well, that costed me a few hours extra.
Also I seem to have this fixation to keep everything in one sketch, like with the nano, and wanted to use the bus connectors to be able to switch between manual and control mode.

And I can imagine how much work it is to design such splendid software as Simulide is.
About the Z80, I was thinking by myself before Fizik and you explained some more about it, what is the difference between having an Atmega328 in Simulide or another micro, like the Z80?
Now I understand that these are pre designed. 
I have Proteus demo version, which includes a Z80.
I tried it out but turned out to be an empty shell and did nothing. That's perhaps because I have demo, you don't get access to micro's, or saving your sketch. By the way, I am just talking about it, was curious and don't mean to act like a baby crying where is my Z80!!
In fact I'll be glad when this bread board project is finished, it's rather time consuming, takes quite some energy and am looking forward to do some other more relaxed stuff, and with simulide.

39Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Empty Re: Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:59 am

arcachofo

arcachofo

Yeah, you might wonder why I used busses in this situation in the first place. Because Ben's project is modular and had drawn it beforehand I put it in the main circuit. To make the drawing in such a way so I could later see and remember what all the connections are for I used the bus connectors so I could draw the wires and name them.
Yes, that looks a good choice while you are building the whole thing from parts (if it worked).
But i didn't realize that problem until today.

About the Z80, I was thinking by myself before Fizik and you explained some more about it, what is the difference between having an Atmega328 in Simulide or another micro, like the Z80?
By the way, I am just talking about it, was curious and don't mean to act like a baby crying where is my Z80!!
Ovbiously the user doesn't know how things are implemented internally (and doesn't have to).
But i think it is good to give an idea why somethings can be implemented faster and other ones take a lot of time.

Do you think most people will appreciate how much time and effort you invested in this project just by watching at the finished circuit?
I think only you know it.

40Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Empty Re: Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:14 pm

Fizik_S

Fizik_S

Mistral, if you are interested in the topic of z80 simulation in Proteus, then I recommend reading here:
http://www.nedopc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=19632#p152818 - here are collected different models for Proteus.
http://www.nedopc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143688 - a model of the ZX Spectrum computer for Proteus.
http://www.nedopc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=16296#p130761 - a model of a homemade Soviet computer "Radio-86RK" for Proteus.
http://www.nedopc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=11446#p122624 -a model of a homemade Soviet computer " Specialist"

41Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Empty Re: Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:03 am

Mistral

arcachofo wrote:
Do you think most people will appreciate how much time and effort you invested in this project just by watching at the finished circuit?I think only you know it.
I've been doing electronics with ups and downs through the years. There were breaks of maybe five years I didn't do anything with it. Because it is a hobby for me and not a profession and never was. I started in december again after a break of 1.5 years. Looking around what to do, among others I came to see this project and rolled into it. If other people like to use the schematics I drawed then it's fine but I didn't make it for them. Yes, I like to share it and glad that I did because without this sharing I would not have the 189's and it would never be completely finished. 

@Fizik_S
Yes, I am interested but I don't have full access to Proteus and it's quite costly to sign up for that simulation program. Starts with € 200,- and in return you get the arduino micro's.
https://www.labcenter.com/pricing/
Not even sure if the Z80 is in that package, they have several micro-families where you can sign up for. The whole complete package costs more than 6,000 dollar. And for me these government bloody cojona rules are not good for business so can't even try the 'cheaper' custom version.

But I'll take a look at your links, in Tweakers where this project started, the TS is still expanding what he already built with a Z80 so he might be interested as well.
https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/2043958

At the moment I'm gonna take a break, download some projects from this forum and sit back and relax to see how that works.
Have a nice weekend to both of you.  Wink

42Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 - Page 2 Empty Re: Ram and 74HC670 and 74xx170 Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:56 am

Mistral

Fizik_S wrote:Mistral, I tested your latest circuit on an old laptop. The results are as follows:
removing the generators from the NE555 circuit gave a speed increase of 2-3%,
removing the programmer from the arduino circuit increased the simulation speed by more than 10%.
You can speed up the simulation even more if you replace the dynamic display with a static one. There are 74185 chips-a binary-to-binary-decimal converter. There is also a 74184-a binary-decimal-to-binary code converter. I was already thinking of making models of these chips. If you are interested, please let us know.
arcachofo offered a variant of the display on the indicators, which is in the program (see post 27). But these are virtual indicators. SimulIDE has a model of the MC14495 chip that converts a 4-bit binary code into a seven-segment indicator code with the digits 0-9, A, B,C,d, E, F. It also has an input code latch, which will simplify the display scheme. I recommend using it in your scheme. Displaying the contents of the memory in hexadecimal form (2 digits 0-FF) is much more convenient than 3 digits of a decimal number (0-255).
Today I was taking a long look at the 74185 datasheet and decided that I would use it. Then I found out it is not in Simulide. And then I remembered your post  Very Happy
I also tried your voltmeter, part I, it is really well made.  Like a Star @ heaven
I replaced the 74185 with a rom, see the projects forum.
https://simulide.forumotion.com/t143-74hc181-alu-8-bit#646
I wonder, could this be contained in one small package? But that would not be very realistic would it? Also not very educational.
By the way, the 74185 seems to be hard to get, a lot of people are complaining. 
There is a 74185 IC that has a built-in pre-programmed ROM to do the conversion, but is an obsolete device that can be expensive and difficult to find.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/articles/binary-%E2%86%94-bcd-conversion-using-counters.821/

Maxim chips are more popular.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum