Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

View contents of EEPROM

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1View contents of EEPROM  Empty View contents of EEPROM Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:43 am

mvandorp

Hi,

I really love SimulIDE as it is a great tool for prototyping.

I do miss the possibility to view the contents of the EEPROM. I know there is a load/save option in the latest version. An extra option 'View EEprom' would be great:

just a hex dump with the ascii representation would be a great help, eg. like hd (hexdump command on linux):

Code:

00000000  48 65 6c 6c 6f 2c 20 49  20 72 65 61 6c 6c 79 20  |Hello, I really |
00000010  6c 69 6b 65 20 53 69 6d  75 6c 49 44 45 21 21 0a  |like SimulIDE!!.|

Thanks,
Marcel

2View contents of EEPROM  Empty Re: View contents of EEPROM Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:35 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

That's a good idea.
Added to the list.

3View contents of EEPROM  Empty Re: View contents of EEPROM Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:43 am

mvandorp

In addition to viewing the EEPROM, it would be nice to be able to wipe it as well (eg fill in with FF, perhaps configurable?), to emulate a fresh Arduino.

Now I just created a new schematic with just the arduino, and saved the EEPROM contents before doing anything else. To reset, I need to load this empty.data file every time.

It works, but it is a bit of a hassle.

Marcel

4View contents of EEPROM  Empty Re: View contents of EEPROM Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:03 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

In addition to viewing the EEPROM, it would be nice to be able to wipe it as well (eg fill in with FF, perhaps configurable?), to emulate a fresh Arduino.
What i have in mind is a generic memory viewer/editor that can be used with any memory in simulide: ram, rom, flash or whatever of MCus or any other component.
I didn't think about resetting the memory, and definetly it should have this option.

Anyway this will not be implemented anytime soon.

Now I just created a new schematic with just the arduino, and saved the EEPROM contents before doing anything else. To reset, I need to load this empty.data file every time.
Maybe n option "clear eeprom" in mcu context menu?
That would be easy and fast to implement...

5View contents of EEPROM  Empty Re: View contents of EEPROM Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:21 am

mvandorp

Clear EEPROM in context menu would work for me, sure!

6View contents of EEPROM  Empty Re: View contents of EEPROM Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:44 pm

arcachofo

arcachofo

I think another solution would be to add a property: Clear EEPROM at restart.
Once you set it, the MCU will do it every time the simulation restarts.

7View contents of EEPROM  Empty Re: View contents of EEPROM Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:09 am

Mistral

There is a way around to clear a Rom, I used this, see R4:
https://servimg.com/view/20304891/19
see
https://simulide.forumotion.com/t143-74hc181-alu-8-bit#656

To view contents I use Notepad++ but clearing seemed not possible or not easy to find so I added an empty Rom in the schematic. Save the empty rom data and upload it into the one that is being used.
This is not a answer to the request but maybe helpfull for now I hope.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum